Friday, February 5, 2021

10 Years Since We Met

10 years ago today Brian and I spoke for the first time!

A friend invited me to join her for a one-day Catholic retreat.  At the last minute, she was unable to go.  And it was raining.  I seriously considered not going but decided I might as well.  I walked into St. Charles Borromeo gym not knowing a soul.  Little did I know later that day I'd be talking to my soulmate ;)

The retreat was led by Fr. Dave Pivonka, TOR.  That name didn't mean too much to me at the time.  However, it meant a lot to my mom who was familiar with him from Franciscan University of Steubenville Adult Conferences.  I picked up a schedule for the day and sat down alone in a folding chair. Many others were gathered around chatting.  I found out later that a lot of them knew each other as they had attended FUS.  As I read the day's schedule of events, I saw Praise & Worship would be led by Brian Kissinger. 

Kissinger.  A name I recognized.  One of my fourth grade math students was Kara Kissinger.  And she had told me about 6 month earlier that "her uncle saw me and he likes me."  To which I responded, "that's inappropriate" or something to that effect.  In my mind, I was imagining an old, creepy uncle who was stalking me!  Plus, I was dating someone at the time and had no intention of meeting anyone else.  Over the coming months I figured out who this "uncle" probably was due to the fact that at the school masses I would see Kara and her siblings go sit with this guy who looked to be about my age.  But school masses were at 9am on Fridays, and this guy came wearing jeans - so I figured he was probably jobless.

Turns out he had a job.  He was a youth minister at a local parish, and on the side he also led music for retreats like this one.

When I saw him on stage, I did indeed recognize him as Kara's uncle.  But I figured, what does it matter - the 300 folding chairs around me were now full and what was I going to do - go up and say, "hey, I think you're my student's uncle?"

Well I didn't have to.  Because during the lunch break I decided to get in line for confession.  While waiting in line... yes, while waiting in line for confession... Brian decided to approach and our first conversation ensues.  He says, "Excuse me, Ms. Ridge, I think you're my niece Kara's math teacher.  I think she may have told you I like you.  I don't.  I mean, I don't know you."  Ok... so exact wording I've forgotten now.  But it was something to that effect.  To which I replied laughing, "Oh don't worry, kids say the funniest things."  He laughs and then asks if I like teaching.  I tell him that I do.  And that, folks, is the end of our conversation - as he let me get back to examining my conscience.

It was three more months until we would speak again.  (After he heard from my school secretary, who was his sister-in-law's neighbor, that I had broken up with my boyfriend - he sent an email to my school account reminding me of our meeting at the retreat on February 5 and asking for my phone number).

So 10 years later, here we are!  Gaming, Austria!  Living at Franciscan University's study abroad program.  Fr. Dave is now president of FUS.

God's plans are truly far above our own, and how grateful we are!








No comments:

Post a Comment