Saturday, April 16, 2016

What Brian Francis Really Wants For His First Birthday...



What does a baby who's been blessed by the Pope really want for his birthday?  He wants to feed hungry children.  How do I know this?  Because last night I asked him at dinner and he responded by throwing all of his food on the floor -- clearly a sign that he wants it to go to others!

In all seriousness, Brian Francis has been abundantly blessed this year.  He's been kissed by the Pope in Rome, he sat where Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and he gets to grow up in the foothills of the Austrian Alps.  He has more than enough toys, clothes, and food.

While Brian Francis never has to worry whether he'll be able to eat any given day, many children do.  These children aren't living far from us or where we've traveled.  And we want to help!

It costs $19.50 to feed a child for a whole school year.

Instead of buying Brian Francis a $20 gift (and spending at least another $20 on shipping) -- please consider making a donation to Mary's Meals.  Thank you!

Click here to donate on behalf of the birthday boy!

What is Mary's Meals?

Mary's Meals provides one good meal to some of the world's poorest children every school day.  At the time that I'm writing this post -- they are feeding 1,101,206 children each day.

Mary's Meals is a no-frills charity with a simple idea that works: by providing one good meal in a place of learning, children are drawn into the classroom where they can receive an education that could one day free them from poverty.

Mary's Meals is named after Mary, the mother of Jesus, who brought up her own child in poverty.  They consist of, respect, and reach out to people of all faiths and none.

Their vision is that every child receives one daily meal in their place of education.

Why does Brian Francis want to support Mary's Meals?

Meeting Pope Francis, the Vicar of Christ, changes you.  Baby Francis has been particularly struck by Pope Francis' words on poverty:

"Poverty in the world is a scandal.  In a world where there is so much wealth it is unfathomable that there are so many hungry children, that there are so many children without an education, so many poor persons.  Poverty today is a cry."

How did our family find out about Mary's Meals?

Through a jar of peanut butter. Seriously.  Let me explain.  

I first heard about Mary's Meals years ago when my sister asked our parish priest in Iowa if he would recommend a good charity to support.  He pointed her to Mary's Meals and she was so impressed by the organization that she shared the link to our family. Although I glanced at, I wasn't moved to donate.  Later my mom shared that she had attended a conference in Iowa and one of the speakers talked about the work of Mary's Meals.  Upon moving to Austria, I began hearing more and more people talk about Mary's Meals as many of the families and students here support the charity.  First I heard one mom mention that she tries to get all of her children's clothes second-hand so that they can give the money they would have spent on clothes to Mary's Meals.  Who does that?  I remember thinking.  Then at the campus' live auction, I watched as staff members outbid one another to "buy" a jar of peanut butter (which had been imported to Austria - where you normally can't find it) for over $200 -- all money went to Mary's Meals.   Again, I thought,  Why Mary's Meals??  That $200 jar of peanut butter pushed me over the edge -- and I finally took the time to learn about Mary's Meals.  And I was blown away.  What did I find?  A simple solution to world hunger - that works!  So often I've thought, What can I really do to help starving people?  Those really, really in need?  How can I know that I'm really helping?  I found my answer with Mary's Meals.

How can you learn more about Mary's Meals?

You can read The Shed That Fed A Million Children: the Extraordinary Story of Mary's Meals that was just published last year.  It is sooooo good!  It's such a page-turner!  Honestly, I did not want to put it down.  I skipped my daily life-saving nap (while both kids are sleeping) and I stayed up late at night to keep reading....if that doesn't tell you how good it is, I don't know what will!  The children and their families' stories are heart-warming and, sadly, heart-breaking.  How it all started in Medjugorje - a place our family will hopefully visit - is incredible.  What I - we - can do to make a huge difference is life changing!

You can also watch the 30-minute video Child 31 on your computer or phone.  It is an incredibly moving short film about Mary's Meals!



Thank you!  God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment