Monday, March 7, 2016

9 Nights & Days

***Family & Friends, Please pray for the repose of the soul of my Uncle Paul Manzo, who passed away on March 4, 2016.  Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.  May he rest in peace.***


Sorry for the delay in blogging!  I know you all have been really upset I haven't posted and have been been checking our site daily trying to figure out how you can possibly keep up with the Kissingers ;)

The main reason I haven't written is because I had little downtime in which I could actually put a sentence together as Brian abandoned the kids and me and went off to Italy for 9 nights and days.  Nine nights of quiet, restful slumber in his own hotel room (ok, only 8 because one was spent on a 14 hour bus ride).  Nine days spent seeing the Pope, visiting Basilicas, eating pasta, and drinking wine -- without having to spoon-feed or cut up anyone's meals.

I knew these 9 days were coming as we made the decision earlier on that I would stay back from the University trip this semester -- and this is what I looked like the week leading up to Brian (and all of my Ministry for Moms helpers) being gone....... Nooooooooo!!!


Ok, actually that is what I looked like as the guard handed Brian Francis back to me after he was blessed by the Pope.  (Be thankful you don't have to listen to the video here, filled with my uncontrollable sobbing and everyone else's screaming).  Nonetheless, it is accurate to say, I was a bit emotional the week before he left -- questioning how I would ever survive all the hours in the day without help - let alone all the hours in the NIGHTS as both Francis and Ellie average getting up 2-3 times EACH during the night.

Good news: I did survive!!  But it was definitely only by the grace of God and all the blessings He filled our week (plus 2 days) with!  So instead of dwelling on how many times I got up at night....I'll share with you the blessings!

1) Beautiful walks/playground time with the kids.  Early last week my friend posted this quote by John Muir: "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  So true!!  I can't really complain when this is the view out my front door.


2) Mass every day and time to pray (alone!) most days.  Thanks to my wonderful neighbors - who took turns watching the kids - I was able to pray alone most days.  They also invited us for meals - so with the adult company, delicious food, and NOT having to clean up after making a meal that realistically only I was going to eat - it was definitely Heaven sent!


3) God sent me Mary!  I'm not referring to the Blessed Mother here, although I definitely spent my share of night time praying the Rosary as I lay awake with some child not sleeping (but I'm not going to dwell on the nights....)  Rather, a friend who was in Brian's youth group back in the day, who is currently travelling the world and was planning on visiting us this week, came early and spent the weekend with us - helping to clean, cook, do bath time and sleeping on a mattress in Ellie's room so I had one less child to get up with at night.  Thank you, Mary!!!!!!!!!!

Before Mary arrived I was tempted to start binge drinking like someone in our family...


Brian and all the students arrived home safe and sound last night!  And although I didn't get to see this in Assisi....


...I did get to devour these from Assisi!


Thank you, God, for bringing Brian home, for Your blessings and mercy shown this past week, and for Italian cannolis!

2 comments: