Sunday, August 16, 2015

Wir Sind Fußgänger

Time for our weekly wrap up! Brian keeps saying he's going to blog but then ends up doing more "important" things...like working, doing Rosetta Stone, and watching the new shows he's found on Netflix over here. Speaking of Netflix, Ellie has also found a new favorite show - Peppa Pig. It's about four British pigs - Mummy, Papa, Peppa & Baby George. Clearly the pigs remind her of our family of four so she's been calling her little brother George, and the other day after nap she called for Mummy Pig to come get her. I chose not to be offended.

Monday was Ellie's half birthday -- she's 2.5 now.  We celebrated with 3 day old brownies - brand new candles and party hats.  Success!


Francis -- as we've decided to call Brian Francis Kissinger II -- (at least for now) is doing all sorts of cool new things.  It was his first time in his Pooh Chair (propped up with a few blankets).  He can almost roll over on his own - he's been sleeping on his left side lately.  He also loves to grab things and put them in his mouth.  He's quite talented.


The views here!  I still look around in awe every day.  Here's a picture taken in front of the pool looking toward the Kartause and our townhouses.


We had dinner with the 4 TOR sisters this week.  They are amazing cooks and hosts!


I got to spend extra time with two of the Sisters this week.  Sister Joan Paule is teaching Sister Teresa and I how to drive a manual transmission.  At first Brian was trying to teach me, but we found that wasn't exactly the best thing for our marriage :)  Sister took us to the fairly large parking lot at the ski resort nearby.  In these summer months the only people that park there are those hiking the mountain.  At first there weren't too many people there, and I felt comfortable learning how to start the car and reverse.  But then everyone in the lot started watching me....or so I thought...it then occurred to me that they were probably looking more at the two Franciscan Sisters in the car with me!

I wasn't the only one for was learning how to get around Austria -- Ellie also did more practicing on her bike that was left from the previous family for us.  They really are great little bikes - low to the ground, no training wheels, they just kind of balance on there.  So far she just sits on it and walks - but I think she'll get the hang of it soon.  We'll see who learns faster - her on the bike or me with the stick-shift.


A good bike ride calls for a drink of wasser.  (Yes, that's German for water).


It's been super hot here all week - and with no AC and a dryer that takes 2 hours, I've definitely switched to line-drying our clothes.  Kind of fun.


Saturday was the Feast of the Assumption.  It is a Holy Day and hence everything in Austria is closed.  There was a big Mass in the courtyard of the Kartause.  Most of the locals dressed in traditional, "Sunday best" clothing.  Although the Mass was in German, it was great to be a part of -- that's the great thing about the Mass - even though I only knew the words Gott (God) and Amen, you know exactly what's taking place because the Mass never changes.  I love witnessing the Universality of the Catholic Church!


After Mass, we drove on some country roads in the towns nearby (yes, I drove too, with Brian instructing me!)  We stopped at a flea market and ended up with a new home for Ellie's Little People.  In Virginia, she had the traditional house, farm, and the Christmas Nativity -- now she has the Castle.  She's so European.  It was a bit odd when she moved Baby Jesus into the Castle though.


Today we went to Mass (in English).  And then for a walk in the woods behind our townhouses.  Ahhh, the views!!  After dinner, we went to the Kartause hotel for dessert and met up with some of the other faculty and the newly arrived RAs.  The rest of the students will arrive next Saturday.


We're really enjoying our time here so far!  The "foreign" (oh wait, that's us) looking signs are starting to look more common place.  This sign is right out front of our townhouses, and the first week I was so confused -- that strange looking B, the extra dots above certain letter.  But thanks to DinoLingo and my husband's Rosetta Stone and common sense - I can now tell you this sign means Foot Way - a place to walk, a place for pedestrians.  Yes, Google translate confirms that this truly is a path for pedestrians.  So glad I didn't try to drive down it :)



Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

  1. Brian will have to at least take time to tell us about the alcohol related accident. I am assuming it wasn't too bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian will have to at least take time to tell us about the alcohol related accident. I am assuming it wasn't too bad

    ReplyDelete