Thursday, April 18, 2019

Girls’ France Trip: Notre Dame Cathedral Before the Fire

Ellie and I (and baby in utero, 25 weeks at the time) had an amazing trip to France, visiting Paris and Lourdes!  We called it our "Girls' Trip" even though we still do not know if the new baby is a girl or a boy -- but Ellie is quite convinced it's a girl :)

Training to Vienna Airport (so easy travel without a stroller!)

Brian surprised me with his idea that I take a trip somewhere after his trip to Rome earlier in the semester with all the students.  He suggested going to Lourdes and so we made plans that I would fly into Paris and stay there for a couple of days before heading to Lourdes.  We had no idea that our visit to Notre Dame Cathedral on Saturday, April 13 would be one of the last visits of the cathedral for the time being as the roof caught fire on Monday, April 15.

The pictures below are the ones I took on April 13.  The pictures from April 15 are ones I found on the internet.  We left Paris on the morning of the 15th to travel to Lourdes so I did not see the cathedral after it caught fire.

I gave the following quote to a news source in Iowa after sharing some of my pictures:

“Our trip to Paris this past weekend revolved around our visit to 
Notre Dame Cathedral. 
Knowing the line is always long to climb the tower, 
we purchased our tickets first thing on Saturday morning. 
Climbing the stairs to the top of the tower 
you could feel the connection to those who had journeyed there before. 
Taking in the breathtaking views of Paris from the top, 
the spire stood out against the bright blue sky 
drawing our gaze even higher. 
As we watched the video of the burning spire topple less than 48 hours later, 
there is great sadness in knowing others won’t share our experience 
of standing in the famous bell towers. 
Notre Dame Cathedral was, and still remains, 
the most exquisite jewelry box of Paris 
holding the ultimate jewel central to our faith - 
the Most Holy Eucharist. 
I’m told that the people witnessing the church burning 
broke out in song to Our Lady - singing Ave Maria on the streets. 
This news brings me hope that the devastating fire will unite us, 
Christians and non-Christians alike, 
who see the cathedral as a sign of what is 
true, good, and beautiful.”

I was in Lourdes when I provided that quote.  I got the idea of Notre Dame Cathedral as "the most exquisite jewelry box of Paris" containing the Most Holy Eucharist - from Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers' description of the cathedral.  I will write more about these volunteers in my post about our trip to Lourdes!




Fire picture two days later




Fire picture two days later



Fire picture two days later


Fire picture two days later

Luckily Ellie is not a suspect in starting the fire :)
It appears to have been caused by electrical short-circuit





The Crown of Thorns in the Treasury

Where we sat for noon Mass on Saturday

Fire picture two days later

Beginning the climb to the top of the towers






 Picture made after the fire






















Our Lady (Notre Dame), pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment